[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4363: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3542)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4365: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3542)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4366: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3542)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4367: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3542)
Multilingual Arfooo

Multilingual Arfooo

Offer your ideas here for improving the script.

Moderator: effi

Multilingual Arfooo

Postby saidbakr » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Hello,

There are many Arfooo fans, talked about multi languages and Arfooo. I would like to mention that it should be built on category bases. This means that language interface should be on of the category properties. In other word something like what happened in dmoz.org, so the language choose in the admin-> settings remains only as a default language.
Best Regards,

, just another customized Arfooo directory.
saidbakr

Re: Multilingual Arfooo

Postby effi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am

hello,
personnaly, i would prefer that by pressing a flag or a link, every thing would be in the other language (template,menu, content, error messages, ads, comments)
et
effi

Postby saidbakr » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Hello,
Your personal prefers should lead to the category based approach in-order to keep the directory SEO. Again like DMOZ.org, there is main target language, English, but other languages are set as categories and then each category has its own lingual interface.

Currently, I try to apply this approach to Arfooo and I think it is easy to be achieved. However, it may take sometime.
Best Regards,

saidbakr

Postby ping » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:12 pm

can't you just do this?
1- place the directory where you normally would like http://www.yoursite.com/directory (you wont change anything in here!)

2- copy all the files to http://www.yoursite.com/fr or /language_you_want and just delete all the unnecessary like /admin, /moderation, etc because its only a mirror for the content, then you set in the meta tags the correct language and change the template/arfooo lang files to what you need

the /fr folder will generate its own cache and you can just make a link to it...you use the same database put you only use one Admin CP to control everything...

just a idea...
ping

Postby saidbakr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:55 am

Hello,
My idea stands on modification to one Arfooo installation. The modification will be carried out on SiteController.php by using Config::set("language","xx").

The task now is to make the xx dynamic and of course should need some modification to categories table in the database, and then sites and categories in the back-end.

Already, I started to figure out some modifications and it is still in testing and error phase. Just I finish it, I will inform you to check it on my directory
Best Regards,

saidbakr

Postby saidbakr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 am

Hello,

I have introduced multilangual approach to Arfooo. It depends on your enter to a category with specified language and its languge file is exist, then the interface will be turned to this language.

There is an exmple:
Go to -> Regional -> français. In the category français the interface will be in French.
Best Regards,

saidbakr

Postby effi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 pm

et
effi

Postby saidbakr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Sorry for the weak French language used in Francais category ;) because I used Google Translate to obtain it.

I think what, primary, I got is the most like to the Open Project Directory http://dmoz.org . However, your idea about making everything should turned into its respective language, is very good and considerable idea. I agree with you about the importance of making every language to have its own keywords, tag clouds and even custom text.

To do that, I think, we should add another property to the category. The property should state the type of the category. For example, a category such as francais should have the type "Home" which its page should display a custom text like found in the home page of the directory but in its language. The categories of type "Home" should have its own rewrite rules to be accessed like sub directory of the root For instance : mydir.com/francais-c39-p1/

The regarded above are some ideas and thoughts, but the road-map for its implementation is not completely clear and may be quiet hard.
Best Regards,

saidbakr

Postby effi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:08 am

hello said
VERY NICE work you did ! Can you explain in a tutorial what you did ? in the tutorial section please. I shall tell Arf and the french forum to look
regards
et
effi

Postby saidbakr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 am

Hello Effi,
Thank you very much. I'd like to thank Arf for his great script and the tutorial . This tutorial made me able to start discovering the API of Arfooo scripts indirectly and set my hands to get manage my tutorial titled .

All of this work allows me to set the multilingual approach as it demonstrated in my directory. However, my approach is still in testing phase and there are many aspects are missed.
Best Regards,

saidbakr

Postby forball100 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for sharing.
forball100

Postby jacksoncarrey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 pm

The task now is to make the xx dynamic and of course should need some modification to categories table in the database, and then sites and categories in the back-end.
| |
jacksoncarrey

Return to Suggestion Box