Done! 1090 Sites & 155 Catagories, some issues I have help..

Find all the help you need on the script Arfooo Directory.
Please refer any bugs found.

Moderator: effi

Done! 1090 Sites & 155 Catagories, some issues I have help..

Postby keana » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi Arf! First off, I love the script! I think it already does a great job and I know that it will continue to develop and become even better. I have a community page relevant to the English Bay Vancouver area: htp://www.englishbay.com one of the services of this site is a community & business directory. For that section I have installed and use Arfooo. I have just spent the last week and a half entering 1090 sites and 155 categories into Arfooo. Lots of work that I am glad is behind me. However I am still adding sites and categories to the directory. In fact I have a section just for us Arfooo users. Anyone using Arfooo as their directory script can list it here: http://www.englishbay.com/directory/arfooo-c153-p1.html

While entering all those sites I've come across some bugs and I need your help with them:

The major one is that I am not able to edit listings once they are in. If I want to make a change or correct my bad typing I have to delete the listing and re-enter the whole thing. If I just try to edit it says "Please, fill in the fields URL of site, Title and Description." even though those fields contain the relevant information. No matter what I do I get that error. So to make a change I need to delete and reenter.

Also, is there a way to stop Arfooo from taking over the error 404 pages for my site? I have custom error 404 pages for the site and those are the ones I want to handle error, not Arfooo.

These ones are maybe not bugs but maybe there could be better ways of the script handling? If a site has an incorrect url Arfooo will give an error and not display any listing below the listing that has the error. The same thing happens if there is an error in the listing of the address and Google Maps can not find it. Arfooo will then give an error and not display anything below the listing that has the error.

I have also had trouble with using Google Adsence. I don't think this is a bug.....? But maybe Arfooo's handling of it could be better. Or maybe I just need to understand it better.

A few other non bugs but things I need help with: Is there a way I can edit the directory menu? I don't need to display or use News, Top Referrers, top hits, and a couple of others but I do need to find a way to connect Arfooo back to the rest of my site. Arfooo is a part of the site but there is much more like the blog, photos, and main site. I would really like to have those in the menu! Please help!

Feature Request: It would be really neat if there could be a system in place where people could pay for (vis PayPal would be great!) for category listing priority. Also the ability to have other banner adds that Adseance. And to have a WYSIWYG ability for all text entry areas.

If you could help with these I would be so grateful. Your script is fabulous and I encourage anyone thinking of installing and using this script to do so!
keana

Re: Done! 1090 Sites & 155 Catagories, some issues I have help..

Postby Arf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi keana,

Thank you for your compliments.
Indeed Arfooo Yearbook will continue to grow (correcting bugs, new functions ...).
For the bug that displays a javascript alert when you want to change a site.
Are all fields are filled, even email address?
I would more accurately so I could correct this bug.

For the error with page 404, you have an example?
Yes to Google maps, I know the bug, (the forum french reported this bug me) it shook corrected.

What do you bug with adsense?
The adsenses position themselves evil?
If it is, I have already created several tutorials on french forum, I will translate for the forum English.

To change the top menu, we must change the file
templates / arfooo / menu / menuheader / menuheader.tpl
or to the menu left or right:
templates / arfooo / menu / menuright / menuright.tpl
templates / arfooo / menu / menuleft / menuleft.tpl

Yes a payment system is planned for the next version.
For adsense, I put adsense because this is the best known, but you can use oxado, or many other system using javascript, html ...

For the capacity WYSIWYG, I think adding a text editor with an option to activate it or not.
Arf
Arf
Site Admin

Re: Done! 1090 Sites & 155 Catagories, some issues I have help..

Postby keana » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks for your help! So as it turns out none of the bugs I reported are bugs.... The Java script error was because I don't have email address for 99% of the directory entries. Arfooo let me list enter the information the first time and save but on edit it would give the error. So now if I have to edit an entry I just use my generic email address for that and it lets me save the edit, problem solved.

The error 404 thing goes like this: http://englishbay.com/nothing.html this link leads to a page that does not exist on my server. So anyone clicking that link will get an error 404. They should be getting the custom error 404 I made for the site but they are getting the one from Arfooo. This is happening even when the lost/missing page is not located in the "directory" folder, it happens site wide. I have tied the directory to my main site now and with the menu edit I did (thanks to your help) this is now a non issue to me. No matter if they get the error 404 page from the directory or from the one I created at least they are getting one with site links and info and not a generic one.

All other issues are solved and the adsence thing was happening because it takes so long for google to get the adds live on their server not because of Afrooo. It's taking 3 to 4 days from the time I create the add, enter the info into Arfooo, till it shows up on the page. But again, thats google not Arfooo.

Thanks for this fabulous and highly customizable script!
keana

Return to Installation, support and bug reports